Allocation of Portfolios
Office of the Prime Minister (OPM)
Prime Minister: Dr Joseph Muscat, K.U.O.M., B.Com., B.A.(Hons), M.A.(Eur. Stud.), Ph.D.(Bristol), M.P.
Minister without Portfolio in the Office of the Prime Minister:
Dr Konrad Mizzi, B.Sc., M.A.(Notts.), Ph.D.(Notts.), M.P. ***
Parliamentary Secretary for Planning and Simplification of Administrative Processes:
Dr Deborah Schembri, BA, MA, LLD, Adv. Trib. Eccl. Melit., M.P. **
- Cabinet Office
- Internal Audit and Investigations
- Public Administration
- Strategic Policy Coordination
- Management Efficiency Unit
- Planning, Policy and Priorities Coordination
- Malta Environment and Planning Authority
- Government Printing Press
- Joint Office
- Development of Alternative Energy Sources
- Energy Policy
- Malta Resources Authority
- EneMalta Corporation
- Water Policy
- Water Services Corporation
Ministry for European Affairs and Implementation of the Electoral Manifesto
Deputy Prime Minister: Mr Louis Grech, B.A., M.A.(Oxon.), M.P.
Parliamentary Secretary for the EU Presidency 2017 and EU Funds:
Dr Ian Borg, LL.B., Dip. Not. Pub., LL.D., M.P.
- Relations with the European Union
- EU Internal Coordination
- EU Presidency 2017
- EU Funds and Programmes
Ministry for Foreign Affairs
Minister: Dr George Vella, M.D., Cert. G.A.M. (UK), M.P.
- Relations with Foreign and Commonwealth Countries
- Relations with International Organisations and Institutions
- International Economic Relations
- Maltese Communities Abroad
Ministry for Education and Employment
Minister: Mr Evarist Bartolo, B.A., M.Ed.(Wales), M.P.
Parliamentary Secretary for Research, Innovation, Youth & Sport:
Mr. Chris Agius, M.P.
- Childcare and Early Education
- Compulsory Education
- Higher Education (including MCAST)
- Life-long Learning
- National Library *
- National Archives *
- Public Libraries
- Employment and Training
- Research and Innovation
- for Development, Research and Training
- Science and Technology Policy
- Sport and Sport Complexes
Ministry for Transport and Infrastructure
Minister: Mr Joe Mizzi, M.P.
- Manufacturing and Servicing
- Construction and Maintenance
- Coordination of Major Government Projects
- Oil Exploration *
- Internal Transport
- Coordination of Road Building, Maintenance and Landscaping
Ministry for Gozo
Minister: Dr Anton Refalo, LL.D., M.P.
- Gozo Affairs (excluding Health services and Education)
Ministry for Social Dialogue, Consumer Affairs and Civil Liberties
Minister: Dr Helena Dalli, B.A.(Hons.), M.Phil., Ph.D., M.P.
- Social Dialogue
- Civil Liberties
- Data Protection
- Non-Governmental and Voluntary Organisations
- Competition and Consumer Affairs
- Medicines Authority
- Industrial and Employment Relations
- Occupational Health and Safety
Ministry for the Economy, Investment and Small Business
Minister: Dr Christian Cardona, B.A., LL.D., LL.M., M.P.
- External Trade
- Investment Promotion
- Malta Enterprise
- Government Investments
- Small Business and the Self-Employed
- Trade Services
- Monitoring of the Promotion of the Residence and Visa Programme
Ministry for Finance
Minister: Prof Edward Scicluna, B.A.(Econ.), D.S.S.(Oxon), M.A.Econ (Toronto), Ph.D. Econ. (Toronto), M.P.
- Economic Policy
- Budget Office
- The Treasury
- Inland Revenue
- Indirect Taxation
- Customs and Excise
- Financial Services Regulation
- Malta Statistics Authority
- Relations with Central Bank
Ministry for the Family and Social Solidarity
Minister: Dr Michael Farrugia, M.D., M.P.
Parliamentary Secretary for Culture and Local Government:
Dr Justyne Caruana, LL.D., M.P.
- Social Policy
- Family Policy
- Child Policy
- Social Housing
- Social Security
- Solidarity Services
- Policy concerning Persons with Disability
- Community Care
Ministry for Justice, Culture and Local Government
Minister: Dr Owen Bonnici, B.A., LL.D., M.P.
Parliamentary Secretary for Local Government:
Dr Stefan Buontempo, B.A.(Arch), FCIOB, FASI, MRICS, Ph.D., M.P.
- Courts of Justice
- Attorney Generalís Office
- Notary to Government
- Culture and the Arts
- National Orchestra
- Cultural Heritage
- Public Broadcasting Services
- Valletta 2018
- Local Government
- National Identity Management
- - Land Registry *
- - Public Registry
- - Civil Registration
- - ID Cards
- - Passports
- Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs
- Central Visa Unit
Ministry for Tourism
Minister: Dr. Edward Zammit Lewis, B.A., LL.D., M.P.
- Tourism Studies
- Film Industry
Ministry for Home Affairs and National Security
Minister: Mr. Carmelo Abela, M.P.
- Armed Forces
- Aviation Security
- Correctional Services
- Probation and Parole
- Civil Protection
Ministry for Sustainable Development, the Environment and Climate Change
Minister: Dr Jose' A. Herrera, B.A., LL.D., M.P.***
Parliamentary Secretary for Agriculture, Fisheries and Animal Rights:
Mr Roderick Galdes, B.Plan., M.A.(ISSS), MACP, M.P.
- Climate Change Policy
- Environmental Policy
- Waste Management Strategy
- National Parks, Afforestation and the Countryside
- Rural Development
- Animal Welfare
- Veterinary Services
Ministry for Competitiveness and Digital, Maritime and Services Economy
Minister: Dr Emanuel Mallia, L.P., LL.D., M.P.***
- Maritime Policy and Promotion
- Promotion of Financial Services
- Information and Communication Strategy
- Digital Economy
Ministry for Health
Minister: Dr Chris Fearne, M.D., M.P.***
- Health Services Regulation and Standards
- Health Services
- Occupational Health and Safety
* Changes in Portfolio responsibilities were made with effect from 27th March 2013 and 22nd January 2016 as per PR 160128.
OPM Circular No. 7 of 2013 issued on 2nd April 2013.
** Changes in Cabinet responsibility as from 21 January 2016 and swearing in was held on 22 January 2016.
Cabinet reshuffle announced on Saturday 29th March 2014 and swearing in was held on 2nd April 2014.
*** Cabinet reshuffle announced on Thursday 28th April 2016 with Minister losing all his portfolios while remaining a minister, and the swearing in of 3 new ministers was held on Friday 29th April 2016
Changes in portfolios of Ministries was announced in the Government Gazette of 30th July 2016
Copyright ©2003 - HF
Send any questions or problems regarding
this service to the administrator.
last modified: July 2016