LIST OF THE HON. MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF MALTA
(Last update: April 20th, 2008)
The House of Representatives re-convened on Saturday, 10th May, 2008, by virtue of a Proclamation which was issued by the President of Malta as soon as the Casual Elections were held.
Click here to view List of the previous Members of Parliament (2003-2008)
Click here to view List of the previous Members of Parliament (1998-2003)
Click here to view List of the previous Members of Parliament (1996-1998)
CASUAL ELECTIONS were held on the 17th April, 2008 to fill in the seats vacated by:
Dr. Lawrence Gonzi (PN) in the SECOND DISTRICT: Dr. Stephen Spiteri
Dr. Michael Falzon (MLP) in the SECOND DISTRICT: Mr. Chris Agius
Mrs. Helena Dalli (MLP) in the THIRD DISTRICT: Dr. Owen Bonnici
Dr. George Vella (MLP) in the FIFTH DISTRICT: Dr. Joseph Sammut
Dr. Charles Mangion (MLP) in the SIXTH DISTRICT: Dr. Gavin Gulia
Dr. Jeffrey Pullicino Orlando (PN) in the SEVENTH DISTRICT: Mr. Philip Mifsud
Dr. Alfred Sant (MLP) in the EIGHTH DISTRICT: Mr. Joe Debono Grech
Robert Arrigo (PN) in the NINTH DISTRICT: Mr. Joseph Falzon
Mr. Evarist Bartolo (MLP) in the NINTH DISTRICT: Mr. Joseph Cuschieri ++++
Mrs Dolores Cristina (PN) in the TENTH DISTRICT: Dr. Michael Frendo
Dr. Tonio Borg (PN) in the ELEVENTH DISTRICT: Mr. Charlo' Bonnici
Tonio Fenech (PN) in the TWELFTH DISTRICT: Mr. Censu Galea
CASUAL ELECTION held on the 31st October, 2008 to fill in the
seats vacated by:
Dr. Karl Chircop - deceased (MLP) in the FOURTH DISTRICT: Mr. Gino Cauchi
(1) Election of member of the House of representatives in accordance with and for the purposes of the proviso of
subsection (1) of Section 52 of the Constitution of Malta.
(2) Newly elected candidates
(3) Candidates returned from 2 electoral districts.
(4) Candidates elected in Casual Elections of 17.04.2008
(5) Dr. Alfred Sant resigned from Leader of the Opposition on the 5th June 2008. On the same day, the President of Malta officiated at the swearing-in of Dr. Charles Mangion, Acting Leader of the MLP, as Leader of the Opposition 'ad interim'. A new Labour leader was in fact elected in the 6th June 2008 in the person of Dr Joseph Muscat, who is not an MP.
(6) On 29th September 2008, Labour MP Josef Cuschieri resigned his seat in Parliament (10th District) to enable the new MLP Leader to be co-opted in Parliament as the New Leader of the Opposition, following his resignation of his MEP seat in the European Parliament. On 30th September Dr. Charles Mangion resigned from Leader of the Opposition. On 1st October 2008, following his co-option in Parliament, the Hon. Dr. Joseph Muscat was sworn in as Leader of the Opposition by H.E. the President of Malta and as a Member of the House of Representative by the Speaker Dr Louis Galea.
(7) The Hon. Dr. Karl Chircop, a medical doctor by profession, was admitted to Malta's Mater Dei hospital in a state of coma on 3rd August 2008. He was transferred to the National Hospital of Neurology and Neurosurgery of London at the end of August where he died at the age of 43 years, on 12th October 2008. He was an MP since 1996. In a casual election held on 31st October 2008, to fill in the seat vacated by the death of Dr Chircop, Gino Cauchi was elected as the new Labour MP to fill up his post. He was sworn in as the new MP on 3rd November 2008.
(8) The Hon. John Dalli, Minister for Social Policy resigned from P.M. Gonzi's Cabinet on 9th February 2010, after being successfully nominated by the Government of Malta and approved by the EU Parliament, to become Malta's 2nd EU Commissioner since accession, responsible for Health and Consumer Affairs. Mr Dalli replaced former EU Commissioner Joe Borg. He also resigned his seat in the House of Representatives on the same day. Following a casual election held on the 18th February 2010, Dr. Peter Micallef was elected to fill up his seat in Parliament. He was sworn in as the new MP on 1st March 2010.
(9) The Hon. Louis Galea, Speaker of the House of Representatives, resigned from his office, on 9th May 2010, after being successfully nominated by the Government of Malta and approved by the EU Parliament, to become Malta's 2nd Member at the EU's Court of Auditors since accession. Dr Galea replace former EU Auditor Prof Josef Bonnici. The Government nominated sitting MP Dr Michael Frendo to be the next Speaker of the House. He was sworn in as the new Speaker of the House on the 29th April 2010.
(10) The Hon. Michael Frendo resigned his seat in Parliament to take up the post of Speaker of the House of Representatives as from 29th April 2010, after being nominated by the Government and approved by the House. Dr Frendo replaced former Speaker Dr Louis Galea. Following a cooption made by the Government, Mr Karl Gouder was, on the 26th April 2010, appointed to fill up his seat in Parliament. He was sworn in as the new MP on 29th April 2010.
(11) Following a PN Executive meeting it was decided that Dr Jeffrey Pullicino Orlando will not be allowed to contest any other election under the PN ticket due to him voting in favour of an Opposition Motion. decided that he did not form part of the Nationalist Party anymore and asked the Speaker to be referred to as an Independent Candidate in this turbulent Parliament. Therefore as from 2012 Dr Pullicino Orlando is an Independent MP.
(12) On 30th November 2012, the Hon. Dr Tonio Borg, Minister for Foreign and Parliamentary Affairs (and Deputy Leader of the Nationalist Party) resigned from the Maltese Parliament after 20 years of service to take up the post of EU Commissioner in lieu of Mr John Dalli who was dismissed from the EU Commission after and OLAF Investigation. The Hon. Dr. Francis Zammit Dimech, on Friday 30th November 2012, was appointed Minister of Foreign and Parliamentary Affairs. A Bye Election was called and .... was elected to take up the chair left vacant by Dr Borg.
Send any questions or problems regarding
this service to the administrator.
last modified: December 2012